In a bid to boost vegetable cultivation on residential premises and terrace of buildings, a Seed Vending Machine was installed in India.
The automated machine will facilitate the aspirants to get quality seed packets of vegetable and flowering plants. It hopes to encourage more people to go in for vegetable cultivation in their houses and on terraces to meet their daily requirements.
Interesting facts about gardening
- A sunflower is not just one flower. Both the fuzzy brown center and the classic yellow petals are actually 1,000 – 2,000 individual flowers, held together on a single stalk.
- There are more microorganisms in one teaspoon of soil than there are people on earth. It’s aliiiiive! Mwahhhahah, ok in all seriousness, that fact might make you uncomfortable, but microbes are important for keeping your soil full of nutrients.
- Plants really do respond to sound. Talking to plants to help them grow is a well-known old gardeners tale, but studies have shown vibration (like music, or perhaps even the sweet sound of your voice) can affect plant growth. Plus, the Myth Busters (in an admittedly not-so-scientific study), compared a silent greenhouse to one where they piped in a voice soundtrack, and found that plants in the latter grew more.
- The world’s tallest-growing tree is the coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens),which grows along the Pacific Coast of the United States, mainly in California. Interestingly enough, it’s not the world’s oldest-growing tree; that award goes to a bristlecone pine (Pinus aristata).
- What is the fastest growing woody plant in the world? Bamboo! It can grow 35 inches in a single day.
- Why to cranberries float? Small pockets of air inside cranberries cause them to bounce and float in water.
- What fruit has seeds on the outside? The average strawberry has 200 seeds. It’s the only fruit that bears its seeds on the outside.