Just as any automatic vending machine, the user can choose on the emotion vending machine a list of products. If, for example, the user selects “scared”, “ecstatic”, and “terrified”, he obtains a musical cocktail.
As for the drinks, the user can plug USB stick or MP3 reader onto the machine, and get back the piece of remixed emotions. He can listen to the result beforehand thanks to the loudspeakers of the emotion vending machine.
Exhibitons: Smile Machines curated by Anne-Marie Duguet for Transmediale, Berlin 2006.
Interesting Facts on Emotion
- Forcing a Smile Can Make You Happy. If you want to make yourself happy, all you have to do is force your face into a smile for around 30 seconds and you will instantly feel happier
- Emotions are electrochemical signals that flow through us in an unending cycle.
- There are 8 basic emotions: Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, Surprise, Anticipation, Anger and Trust.
- Emotions are neutral.
- Emotions function to guide us to survive and thrive.
- Emotions are contagious.
- Emotions are different than feelings – and moods.
- Emotions are absorbed in the body in about size seconds.
- You have 43 facial muscles expressing the whole spectrum of emotions.
- EQ > IQ. 85% of your financial success is due to your personality and ability to communicate, negotiate, and lead. Shockingly, only 15% is due to your IQ.
- 10% of population don’t know how they feel. It’s a severe dysfunction called alexithymia — an inability to describe one’s emotions in words, thus distinguishing emotions and understanding emotional states of others.
- Botox people still experience emotions. Although Botox, the wrinkle killer, does paralyze some facial muscles, it doesn’t ban the patient from experiencing emotions.
- Just 1% of the population can hide their emotions successfully.
- Self-awareness is the key. The earlier you recognize an emotion, the more choice you have in dealing with it.